Thursday, December 20, 2012

Stop Throwing Up and Start Growing Up

I heard the statement stop throwing up and start growing up when I first got sober a little over a year ago.  The statement was used while giving out a white chip at a meeting.  That statement has stuck with me now for a long time.  It makes me think about how childish and irresponsible I was when I was out there using and drinking. So many stupid things I would do.  From not paying my bills, going in to work hung over, lying to women just to get them in bed.  Shit the list could go on and on.  Today, something happened that made me realize how much growth I have achieved.  I did the next right thing and ended a relationship that had a lot of potential for a lot of bad things to happen.  It sucked having to be an adult and have that conversation but it is what is best for both parties.  Bad timing I guess.  But I know I did the right thing for both of us.  So despite being a little let down with the situation I am very happy about knowing how to handle a situation that use to baffle me.  Which brings me a lot of joy.  There was no freaking out, no name calling or yelling, just rational thought, and a calm discussion.  It is a strange feeling to be able to see personal progress in action.  I have not thrown up in a very long time (hell I was never much of puker accept after Widespread Panic shows) but I have definitely started growing up.  Well it is time for my home group meeting and dinner!
Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment